Baba Ghanoush

We had my brother and sister-in-law over for dinner a couple weeks ago. We had eggplant in our New Roots box that week, so we made a simple dish: sliced eggplant, broiled, with tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese. Over risotto. And we had a side of steamed spinach. Lisanna brought over a leek and an eggplant.

And then I got another eggplant in the next New Roots delivery.

Fresh eggplant.

Time to make Baba Ghanoush!

If you know me well, you know I don't really like to follow recipes (or directions.) I think of recipes as inspiration, not a set of rules.

I roasted the two eggplants in the oven for about 20 minutes at 450 degrees.

Roasting in the oven.

You know they're done when they come our all wrinkly. Like a big, purple Sharpei.

Wrinkled eggplant skin.

I probably could have left them in the oven a tad longer (but dinner was ready and I didn't want to be a slave to the oven while I ate.)

I split the eggplant in half and scooped out the fleshy innards of it. Meanwhile, I juiced two lemons and mixed in a clove of minced garlic, a teaspoon of sea salt and a couple big spoonfuls of tahini. I also added a little chipotle chile powder. I may add more to taste.

Eggplant meat.

Put it all in the food processor. (I like black Kitchenaid, what can I say?)

Food processing.

The finished product is a light brown color, smooth and tastes awesome on pita chips!

Baba Ghanoush

No comments:

Post a Comment